I had a great question on my last post about my grocery shopping list…I’ll be happy to share my list from today. We use a lot of the same ingredients each week and also try to keep our freezer well-stocked. A couple of grocery shopping tips before getting started…
1. Have a general idea of some meal ideas for the week. If I’m feeling particularly ambitious, I actually write out my weekly meal plan (for dinners) – that’s what I did today. I try to include a protein, veggies (and/or fruit), and a healthy starch with each meal.
2. Make your list based on your meal plan. Arrange your list in the order of departments you typically go through in the grocery store.
3. Go shopping on the weekend or a time when you’re not rushed (and not starving).
- onions (red + yellow)
- sweet potatoes
- broccoli (pre-washed in bag)
- salad (pre-washed mixed greens)
- turkey italian sausage
- lean ground beef
- fage 2% yogurt (3-4)
- gallon 1 % milk
Coffee + tea bags
Bread – double fiber whole wheat
Kashi Rice packet
Canned Black Beans
- sour cream
Based on these groceries, and some items I know we already have on hand (whole wheat hoagie buns -in freezer, yellow potatoes, cheddar cheese, eggs, limes, cereals for breakfast, garden veggies- tomatoes+ cucumber+peppers, chicken breasts – in freezer, steak – in freezer, and curry sauce), I put together this plan for this week’s dinners….
Tonight: Taco Salad with lean ground beef, black beans, and homemade guacamole
Monday: Turkey Italian Sausage Sandwiches with baked french fries
Tuesday: Steak Salad
Wednesday: Grilled chicken with baked sweet potato and roasted broccoli
Thursday: Chicken curry with rice and veggies
I try to have an idea for my dinners – and then lunch is either out or at the hospital cafe or leftovers. And, some weeks, I don’t do well planning dinners at all and I’m stopping at the grocery store on the way home from work each day! But, it is amazing how much less stressful my afternoons are when I already have everything planned out.
Tonight’s dinner was taco salad with mixed greens, seasoned ground beef + black beans, cheddar cheese, fresh tomato, salsa, and homemade guacamole…
And, Food Should Taste Good sweet potato chips + multi-grain tortilla chips to share…
And, here’s a link to an article/video I did last year about this time for a local TV station…Save Time and Money Grocery Shopping.
Hope you’ve had a great weekend. Goodnight!