What a great day! I heard some great presentations and, for a conference, we’ve had some really good food. Let’s talk food first….
I had my English muffin as usual before I left home this morning, but when I got to the conference, they had a nice breakfast there, so I had a little of this too….some scrambled egg, fresh pineapple and cantaloupe, and a small serving of potatoes with coffee and a little juice. It was great fuel to get me through the morning.
Lunch wasn’t until 1:00, which is a little later than usual for me, so I’m glad I had the double breakfast.
The conference chairperson did a great job ordering healthy food. For lunch, I had a roast beef and cheddar sandwich on rye, small salad, and some really great tomato soup.
Then, we went for a walk around the downtown area, window-shopped at some cool shops and cafes, and decided on a coffee from a great place called Coffee and Chocolate, which I have to visit again. Here’s a view of the great little shopping area called Market Square where we sat outside for a few minutes enjoying our coffee.
After our walk -it was back to the conference and we had dessert waiting- I had a little more than half of a small piece of red velvet cake with the rest of my coffee.
So – what were some high points of the presentations?
- Exercise and physical activity guidelines have basically been stable for the last 30 years. Even with thousands of research studies- it is still recommended to get 20-60 minutes of aerobic activity at 50-85% max heart rate 3-5 days/week.
- With all the emphasis on physical activity and wellness- unfortunately, 66% of American adults are overweight and 33% are obese.
- It will take a partnership between schools, parents, communities, government, employers, and healthcare systems to make a meaningful impact on obesity.
- Thomas Jefferson had it right in 1786 when he said “Not less than two hours a day should be devoted to exercise, and the weather should be little regarded.”
- The average Amish man walks 17,000 steps a day, while the average U.S. adult walks only 5,000 steps a day.
- Americans have on average 4.9 hours of leisure time per day and spend nearly 3 of those hours watching TV.
- Sugared soft drink consumption is up 5-fold over the last 50 years.
I’ll share more after tomorrow’s lectures. Have a great evening!