Today I’d like to share a staple recipe from my household that is great to have on hand for a quick breakfast or snack. The base is coconut flour, which is a great gluten free option. It is also high in fiber. The eggs provide a good amount of protein so there’s lots of nutrition packed into these muffins. As a bonus, my 4-year old loves them too!
(Makes 12 muffins)
3 ripe mashed bananas
1/3 cup melted butter
2 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. vanilla
½ cup coconut flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. cinnamon
2-3 tbsp. chia seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin pan with baking cups or cooking spray.
2. Combine mashed bananas and melted butter. Mix well. Add eggs, honey, and vanilla and whisk until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Add to wet ingredients and mix.
4. Transfer about ¼ cup of the mixture to each muffin cup and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
5. Stores well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
We all know that breakfast is an important part of a healthy lifestyle for both kids and adults. Multiple studies show that kids who eat breakfast:
- display better behavior
- score higher grades in school
- have overall better nutrient intake
- experience better weight control
Back-to-school time often puts an increased pinch on morning time. Most families need quick, make-ahead ideas to have on hand to grab and go for a quick, nourishing weekday breakfast. This is a super-easy idea that takes just a little prep time over the weekend and you can have breakfast ready for the whole week.
The basic recipe starts with combining the following in an 8 ounce mason jar or other container with lid:
• ¼ cup old fashioned oats
• 1/3 cup milk
• ¼ cup Greek yogurt
• 1 tsp. chia seeds
Add 1-2 tsp. sweetener of your choice (honey, maple syrup, fruit spread) and shake well to combine. Add ¼ = 1/3 cup fruit and stir. Refrigerate overnight or even a couple of days.
3 of my favorites (recipes credit www.theyummylife.com):
1. Raspberry Vanilla
• 1 Tbsp. raspberry jam (all-fruit spread)
• ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
• 1/3 cup fresh raspberries
2. Cocoa Banana
• 1 tsp. honey
• 1 Tbsp. cocoa
• ¼ cup sliced banana
3. Blueberry Maple
• 2 tsp. maple syrup
• ¼ cup fresh blueberries
Enjoy! And Happy Back to School!!
Good morning! Hope you’ve had a good and restful weekend and are ready to get back to the regular routine.
I started with a delicious cup of hazelnut coffee with cream…
And, Kashi blueberry waffles with almond butter, blackberries, and a drizzle of syrup (Just call me Kashi)🙂
I’m off to work…lots to do there and then I teach Sculpt and Rock Bottom later this afternoon. And, I’m only working 3 days this week…I’m taking Friday off for a fun adventure with my mom, my sister, Owen, and Emma Kate- so I have to focus to get everything done in 3 days!
Have a great day!
Oh the bliss! Sleeping in with no alarm clock = pure heaven.
We had a slow, lazy breakfast – pancakes with dark chocolate + berries + one scrambled egg and my favorite hazelnut coffee with cream…what a perfect start to the day.
I used my favorite pancake mix- Fiber One…
I love slow breakfasts…most weekday mornings I’m rushing around like a crazy person just trying to get ready and get out the door for work…so a leisurely breakfast is a treat.
On my agenda:
- a walk with Anthony at a greenway/park
- a little swimsuit shopping…I need one more suit before our upcoming anniversary trip!
- a little more laziness before the work-week begins!
Movie review from last night:
- New in Town- loved it! I’m a huge fan of Renee Zellwegger and I thought it was the perfect, light romantic comedy.
- Last House on the Left- hated it! Can’t really give it a full review because we turned it off after about 30 minutes – we didn’t really get any suspense during the first 30 minutes, just negativity…not my kind of movie. I definitely wouldn’t recommend. But, we did turn it off after 30 minutes, so maybe it redeems itself later in the show.
I hope you’re having a great Holiday weekend!
See you later!
I LOVE 3-day weekends!!
Anthony and I have spent the whole day relaxing and hanging out together- 2 things we don’t get to do often enough…
Tonight- we had our own Labor Day cookout for just the 2 of us…lean grilled burgers + sweet potato fries…
And, movie night at home…
We already watched New in Town…and since we’re off tomorrow, we’re staying up for a late showing of The Last House on the Left- it’s supposed to be scary!
Posted in Dinner
Tagged burger, fries